Broody Duck Questions

Silkiesaz

🐓 Silkie Queen 🐓
8 Years
Mar 18, 2016
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Hi all! My duck is broody and will be having babies in about 2 weeks. She is a Cayuga but my drake is a Muscovy. I have heard that muscovy crosses will be infertile and my past muscovy cross never laid eggs. However when I googled it, it said that muscovy crosses could lay eggs. Does anybody have experience with muscovy crosses laying? I also wanted to ask about some of the eggs she is incubating. She is sitting on 3 chicken eggs as well. They should hatch a week before the ducklings do I seperate them?

According to Dave Holderread in Storey’s Guide to Ducks, off spring of a Muscovy drake and Mallard derived hen are usually infertile and the females usually do not lay eggs. But, the reverse cross, female Muscovy with a Mallard derived drake, usually results in girls which lay small infertile eggs and drakes that sometimes are fertile.
I would remove your chicken eggs or your duck may assume she is done after the chicks hatch and leave the nest with them.

According to Dave Holderread in Storey’s Guide to Ducks, off spring of a Muscovy drake and Mallard derived hen are usually infertile and the females usually do not lay eggs. But, the reverse cross, female Muscovy with a Mallard derived drake, usually results in girls which lay small infertile eggs and drakes that sometimes are fertile.
I would remove your chicken eggs or your duck may assume she is done after the chicks hatch and leave the nest with them.
Do I seperate the chicks when they hatch?

Back
Top Bottom