Broody duck what do I do? and Pekin hen with lame leg what do I do?

JessyGii

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 4, 2012
Ohio
My Rouen duck which has been mated by our pekin male has gathered 6 eggs in the coop. I was getting 1 egg from her every day until a week ago she stopped laying and I didn't know why. today I discovered a hidden nest buried under hay with 6 eggs I touched them and they were very warm. she has a fit every time I open the coop door she stands with her mouth wide open making a noise. but I have noticed she gets off the nest to play outside and swim I never had a duck go broody before so I worried the eggs will get cold if she not sitting on them all the time. when she leaves the nest she covers them in more hay. my male pekin suddenly got extremely aggressive if I walk into the coop he bites my feet and legs like crazy. what should I do for my Rouen to ensure she sits through the hole time and hopefully successfully hatches some? I was thinking I should block off that section of the coop so that the chickens and other ducks wouldn't disturb her and the nest. or I have a large dog house in the chicken run should I move her and the nest into their? I don't know what to do. I don't want to screw it up though I really want her to hatch them.

Also I have a pekin hen 3 days ago she was walking around just fine, then our male pekin jumped on her to mate and right after that she was limping really bad , I immediately separated her into another area where she could rest the leg and not be jumped on. the next morning her leg was very swollen and she wont stand on it or sit on it at all she keeps it tucked up at all times. I tried cool water and an ice pack to relief the swelling but it doesn't improve. I never had this happen before ether and I don't know how to fix this. also we have no vet in the area at all that will look at poultry. is there anyway I can help her?? she has now stopped laying because of this and cannot get around at all.

I've never had ducks before, but I've had my chickens go broody several times now. Birds will become quite aggressive with their nests, and don't like the nests to be disturbed, so that's why she's opening her mouth (and probably hissing while she's at it.) Chickens will get up from their nests a couple times a day to eat and drink, so it makes sense that your duck would get up for a few minutes, too. When my birds go broody, I put them in cat boxes/large cages with food, water, and anything else they might need, so you could probably do something along those lines... Another thought, would be to get a few ducklings, and put them under her at night (I'd guess it works with ducks, but, having never tried it, I'd be a little cautious in trying it... the process is called grafting, in case you want to research it.)

With the bird with the bad leg, I'd first make sure that you have enough females for your males, as I've had some roosters that overbred our hens, causing their legs to become dislocated. We didn't end up moving the hens away, and, given time, the legs either relocated themselves, or the hens ended up getting used to their bad legs (they limped, but they could get around just fine). If the leg appears to be dislocated, then it will probably take care of itself, but I'd still keep an eye on it, and make sure it doesn't get much worse.

My Rouen duck which has been mated by our pekin male has gathered 6 eggs in the coop. I was getting 1 egg from her every day until a week ago she stopped laying and I didn't know why. today I discovered a hidden nest buried under hay with 6 eggs I touched them and they were very warm. she has a fit every time I open the coop door she stands with her mouth wide open making a noise. but I have noticed she gets off the nest to play outside and swim I never had a duck go broody before so I worried the eggs will get cold if she not sitting on them all the time. when she leaves the nest she covers them in more hay. my male pekin suddenly got extremely aggressive if I walk into the coop he bites my feet and legs like crazy. what should I do for my Rouen to ensure she sits through the hole time and hopefully successfully hatches some? I was thinking I should block off that section of the coop so that the chickens and other ducks wouldn't disturb her and the nest. or I have a large dog house in the chicken run should I move her and the nest into their? I don't know what to do. I don't want to screw it up though I really want her to hatch them.

Also I have a pekin hen 3 days ago she was walking around just fine, then our male pekin jumped on her to mate and right after that she was limping really bad , I immediately separated her into another area where she could rest the leg and not be jumped on. the next morning her leg was very swollen and she wont stand on it or sit on it at all she keeps it tucked up at all times. I tried cool water and an ice pack to relief the swelling but it doesn't improve. I never had this happen before ether and I don't know how to fix this. also we have no vet in the area at all that will look at poultry. is there anyway I can help her?? she has now stopped laying because of this and cannot get around at all.

Ducks will get off the nest for up to 45 minutes to eat and bathe. Then they go back to the nest and their wet breast feathers provide the eggs with the extra humidity that duck eggs need for hatching. I wouldn't try to move her nest..she may abandon it, but try to keep the other birds away so that she can be in a relaxed state of mind.

Back
Top Bottom