Broody Duck's Eggs Didn't Make It

pirtykitty

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Waco, Texas
My resuced magpie Duck Ellie went broody the first week of July... Plus I put some I ordered under her to.. We let them go several extra days... And Checked the ones that were left today when we removed her from the nest... There were ducklings in them but they just didn't hatch( they looked like a little boy and little girl welsh harlequin)... The heat here was just too much... I feel so sorry for Ellie.. She knew there were babies in there they just got cooked in their shells I guess with the heat... If she goes broody nest year I hope she picks a time when it's not sooo hot....

Will she go into a molt now or will she start laying again in a few weeks... She has lost weight because of being broody.. I hope she will take a rest and get her body weight back up again...

Quote:
I am sorry about the ducklings. Poor Ellie, that has to be disappointing. I have Muscovies and after my duckling hatched mama went back to laying but that was 10 weeks ago. Mine usually don't start to molt till end of september. But some of my chickens have already started to molt and last year it was last of September for them. It's been a crazy summer.

This happened to me, too. Although my female was rolling the eggs out of the nest and breaking them for some reason. I finally took the last egg away and cleaned up her nest. About a week later she started dropping feathers like crazy. All her flight feathers are gone! Is this normal? I've never had a duck molt like this, but I've never had one sit on eggs before either.

Thank you...
Yes when they molt they loose their flight feathers. along with some of their other feathers because they get their fall colors... Stanley' has molted and getting his wing feathers back in plus his head has gone from green to grey..

DAisy is down to laying eggs every few days and I suspect her feathers will be dropping soon..
The chickens are laying their first eggs as of monday.. have gotten an egg a day, they are tiny. the one today was like rubber and got a tear in it so it wasn't good..

Back
Top Bottom