Broody Egyptian Fayoumis??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jayzandra, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Jayzandra

Jayzandra Chillin' With My Peeps

I think my extremely flighty Egyptian Fayoumis is broody. Every time I go in the coop she's in one of the nest boxes, even at night. She also hasn't laid any eggs lately, however the Pheonix hasn't either, I'm thinking because of the changing season maybe? She's not all fluffy, and she jumps out of the nest whenever anyone gets close to her. She then runs around growling and clucking like she's all mad. Then she jumps right back into the box as soon as we back off.

I'm trying to attach a video, but I'm not having any luck. I'll try again later.

2. Jayzandra

Anyone have any ideas?

3. toynutz

toynutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Pacific NW
    She kind of sounds broody. Is she actually sitting on a clutch of eggs? Most hens choose to stay put on their nest even with people around, but with yours being a flighty, non-broody breed, it could be typical behavior. Fayoumis are such pretty birds... I came really close to getting a couple. Good luck with her!

4. Jayzandra

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she's Broody, just real flighty. When she jumps out of the box she's all fluffy like a turkey and poops a really huge poop. She also collects eggs. We have spread them all out amongst the boxes and later she'll have all of them under her. We're not going to let her hatch anything yet because we need to process a few roosters first, then maybe once their sperm is all cleared out, well let her try.

5. southernbird

southernbird New Egg

Sep 12, 2014
    Hi i did not see the age of your chick i also have one that has started acting protective of her nest but she has just a couple of weeks been laying eggs any ideas i have not had a roo for about a week thanks Don

6. Jayzandra

She's a St. Patty's baby, so that makes her 7 months old. She's been laying, fairly well, actually, for about a month and then stopped. We decided to make her her own special box in a private corner away from the rest of the boxes, but she wasn't having any of it, so we blocked off the main boxes for the night and today she's no longer broody. Go figure. Everybody else wants to lay in the new box now though, hahaha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by