Broody Game Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsfitz88, Sep 11, 2019.

1. mrsfitz88

mrsfitz88 Chirping

Jul 23, 2019
    Canton, GA
    we brought home some new pullets earlier this week and now our little game hen has gone broody. 1) Is that the reason, and 2) how do we get her to stop? TIA!

DobieLover likes this.
  2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Her broodiness is more likely coincidental to the pullets arrival.
    To break her broodiness you need to confine her to a small wire dog crate with no bedding in it. Elevate the crate up on 4x4s or blocks so that air can get to her belly. Keep food and water in the crate. Leave her in there all day. Let her out about an hour before roost time and watch her. If she goes back in the nest, remove her immediately and put her back in the crate for the night. Keep her in it again the next day and let her out an hour before roost again. Keep doing this until she stays off the nest and acts normal again.

mrsfitz88 likes this.
  3. varidgerunner

varidgerunner Songster

Aug 16, 2013
    If she is a game hen, the wire thing won't work. You can do it, but she will go broody again within a week of release. Only way to break the cycle is put eggs under her and let her hatch. Wire cage thing only works on breeds that don't really have that strong of a brooding instinct.

4. mrsfitz88

mrsfitz88 Chirping

Jul 23, 2019
    Canton, GA
    I don’t have a roo or any interest in hatching/raising chicks. Should I recommend her? I’d hate for her to be unhappy..

5. varidgerunner

varidgerunner Songster

Aug 16, 2013
    If you don't want broody chickens you don't want a game.

6. mrsfitz88

mrsfitz88 Chirping

Jul 23, 2019
    Canton, GA
    Minnie Bee on the right. She’s really pretty, right? This is my first flock, they came all together. Guess I’ll look into rehoming her. Bummer too, she’s a pretty good little layer.

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: