Broody gave up on eggs, the chicks are still alive. Please help :)

BookWorm243

Songster
9 Years
Oct 13, 2010
Franklin, NC
Hello,
I had a broody that was sitting on 5 eggs and was being a very good mother. Well she gave that up yesterday, she lost interest and did not want to sit on the eggs. I put her in a cat crate and she sat on them till some time this morning. She made up her mind that she was done, it didn't matter what I tried. She had already cracked an egg this morning. She is now with the flock and I have these eggs , and don't know what to do
idunno.gif
I took a cooler and put a light and heating pad in it. I now have the temp in the 80s and climbing. I am not sure how long she has had the eggs, so I don't know what day they are on. I checked the egg that was cracked, she had peck at the top where the air sack is. I peeled back the shell because I figured it was dead, but it wasn't! I felt horrible there was no way to save it the whole shell was cracked
hit.gif
I now have a few questions,

What should I keep the humidity at?
How can I tell what day they are on?
Is there anything else I should be doing?
I am going to candle them tonight and see if they are still alive.

Thank You

Humidity should be around 50% and then over 60 for hatching time

Remember you need to turn eggs atleast 3 times a day!
temp should be 100
They also need fresh air. make sure theyre not totally locked down in a cooler

The only way to tell what day their on is to candle them and see how far they look

heres a good post for candling pictures
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876&p=1

Thanks,
This will only be my second time incubating, I put some holes in the cooler for air flow. I am planning on turning the eggs 5 times a day. I will candle them tonight and see. The temp has been staying between 99 and 101, is this okay.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom