Broody & Genetic Questions

duckcrazy

Songster
7 Years
Jul 22, 2012
I have one duck that I know goes broody. She is in a pen with 3 other females who are also laying. I have several nest boxes but they all seem to wait in line to lay in the same box! If I don't separate her, what are the chances that she will go broody? If a duck went broody once, is it likely she will again? If you want them to go broody, is it best to just leave the all eggs in the nest or will she only sit on her own. I'd like to build my stock up.
jumpy.gif

Here's my 2nd question for those who dabble in genetics: I have a female from a small runner and a dad that is an average size Campbell. She looks like a Campbell but has a longer neck and exhibits runner behavior--sassy. If she mates with a Campbell, what could be some of the possible out-comes of the chicks? My only male is her father, would mating with him create idiot ducks, like in the royal courts, or does inbreeding not affect them like some other species?

My Runner/Campbell mix who is good size just laid an egg that made my jaw drop. It was big as a pekin egg! Anyway it was a double yolkier inside. It amazed me that she was able to pass it.
clap.gif

Thanks

well the answer to your first question yes she will go broody agian and you might want to mark the egg she will be sitting on so if some one else lays a egg you can get it out
i dont know about the offspring cause i dont mix breed my duck but i do know you can breed father and daughter just not brother and sister and the duckling will be fine i do this with my muscovy

Back
Top Bottom