Broody goose, no eggs hatched. Help!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jellybean, Jul 21, 2010.

1. jellybean

jellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Bellevue, ID
    I have a broody goose and duck. Two baby geese were killed soon after hatching by the other broody goose (she's now banned from the pen). A rotten egg broke and killed the rest of the eggs right before hatching. I've always had ducks that would remove bad eggs themselves, so I didn't candle them all and do it for her. I should have. Now she's sitting on some infertile goose eggs (I thought they were fertile, but they're not- they're from the other crazy broody goose). The crazy goose also broke all the duck eggs but two, one broke a few days ago and died. The other was cracked, and it's in my incubator. It's still alive, and close to hatching though I don't know how close. I don't know what day it's on, 20 something or more. The duck is also on infertile goose eggs from the crazy goose. They are both so determined, and I can't find any eggs close by to give them except chickens. And I don't want chickens. Should I just take all the infertile eggs and let them figure it out? Will they start laying again?

I was thinking if this one egg hatches I'll give the baby to the duck, if she'll take it. I have 7 duck eggs that are going into the incubator tonight. I know staggered hatches are difficult, I don't have a choice. I thought about giving her the eggs, but the air cells came a bit wobbly though not broken. Think they got banged around too much shipping. So I want to keep them still in the incubator for a day. I just hope the baby hatches soon so I don't need to have the humidity too high for the fresh eggs.

What should I do about the broodies? Will they start laying again if I take their infertile eggs from them?

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Kill the crazy goose and try to find some duckings locally for them to adopt is what I would do. That ticks me off so bad when a broody breaks eggs and kills them, I had a ducks setting turkey eggs one time and I found on by their pool with a hole it it and the turkey was still alive when I found it. And then I have another one that was setting her own eggs and broke all of them I think, I saw her running across the yard with one in her mouth one time and she ran to the water with it, and that was the second time she had ruined a whole batch of her eggs, I dont know why she even bothers setting them in the first place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by