Broody Goose :)

yoie

Songster
Jan 28, 2011
Easternshore of Maryland
I am new to having a broody goose, I have silkies so I'm use to the broodiness. But this is my first broody goose! I noticed a few days ago my Pomeranian goose decided to set on some of her eggs. The only problem is I have no gander and I felt bad about her setting with no outcome. So I got a hold of two fertile goose eggs and four Muscovy eggs and replaced them with her eggs today. She has taken to them right away and so far hasn't noticed the switch
fl.gif
Is there anything special I need to do for her? I have noticed that she gets off the nest once a day to forage and eat, after she carefully covers her nest. And then promptly sets back when she is done.

It sounds like she is doing a good job. It is good that she gets off the nest to eat and stretch her legs. Hopefully her nest is in a safe place. One thing to keep in mind is that her duck eggs may hatch before her goose eggs.

It sounds like she is doing a good job. It is good that she gets off the nest to eat and stretch her legs. Hopefully her nest is in a safe place. One thing to keep in mind is that her duck eggs may hatch before her goose eggs.
Nope s&p it's scovy eggs they will hatch in 35-37 days so ,behind goose eggs. which may cause a dilemma.

Last edited:
Nope s&p it's scovy eggs they will hatch in 35-37 days so ,behind goose eggs. which may cause a dilemma.
Ah, I assumed that the scovy was like other ducks, but they are truly different than all those domestic ducks descended from Mallards. Hopefully there won't be too much of a gap between the geese eggs hatching and the Scovy eggs hatching.

She has her nest in a dogloo inside a dog kennel that we set up for her. I figured if she hatches the goose eggs and leaves the muscovys I'll either finish them in the incubator or put them under a broody silkie. They are always wanting to sit on eggs around here and don't seem to care what it is.

She has her nest in a dogloo inside a dog kennel that we set up for her. I figured if she hatches the goose eggs and leaves the muscovys I'll either finish them in the incubator or put them under a broody silkie. They are always wanting to sit on eggs around here and don't seem to care what it is.
We'll be waiting to hear the hatching news!!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom