Broody has broken egg open and chick inside is breathing

I don’t know if I wrote in one of my earliest posts that I had never even had a brooder or heat lamp before and that morning we had just happened to set one up for the rejected chicks. If Hopes egg had broken on any other day I wouldn’t have been able to just scoop her up and put her straight under heat and I wouldn’t have already spent the morning researching temperatures and things. Her timing really was miraculous! I’m usually home by myself too with a toddler but my husband happened to be home to help run to the store to get the heat lamp etc. unbelievable how it all played out.
Cuteness overload! Hope has no idea how lucky she is.

I’ve named her hope. She’s still alive 9 hours in.. I know odds are against her but I so desperately hope she lives
I had a chick named hope too ! We named her that because she couldn’t walk so we rescued her from Tractor Supply! She was very weak, and all the chicks were piled on top of her. She was very VERY hungry and thirsty when we got her home and she slept in a box by my bed and loved to be held. She would chirp all morning and I would do everything with her in my lap including school. All my classmates knew her and looked forward to seeing her on camera every day. She soon got better and went on to her new home with her other sister. That’s what I love to do with my chickens. Rescue the sick ones and find them good homes. Of course I’ve had times where the chicks didn’t make it! But that’s what makes my chickens so special! I miss Hope so much! She was a very special girl! 😔💔

Attachments

• 0F905C7B-B77C-42F7-91E5-E48DC50CA488.jpeg
    0F905C7B-B77C-42F7-91E5-E48DC50CA488.jpeg
    439.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 921C264D-1A0E-4D9B-B033-CB70FD26C46A.jpeg
    921C264D-1A0E-4D9B-B033-CB70FD26C46A.jpeg
    512.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 0169FC89-01C4-41EE-9DAC-6CF2F6427A61.jpeg
    0169FC89-01C4-41EE-9DAC-6CF2F6427A61.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 70BBF870-CE64-4B26-A54B-90B73A64379F.jpeg
    70BBF870-CE64-4B26-A54B-90B73A64379F.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 69B4A03D-BAA9-4CBE-99E2-86E8C6FB9486.jpeg
    69B4A03D-BAA9-4CBE-99E2-86E8C6FB9486.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 4
  • D7DE6640-27E0-40E6-8587-3A7D995FA4F7.jpeg
    D7DE6640-27E0-40E6-8587-3A7D995FA4F7.jpeg
    545.9 KB · Views: 4
I had a chick named hope too ! We named her that because she couldn’t walk so we rescued her from Tractor Supply! She was very weak, and all the chicks were piled on top of her. She was very VERY hungry and thirsty when we got her home and she slept in a box by my bed and loved to be held. She would chirp all morning and I would do everything with her in my lap including school. All my classmates knew her and looked forward to seeing her on camera every day. She soon got better and went on to her new home with her other sister. That’s what I love to do with my chickens. Rescue the sick ones and find them good homes. Of course I’ve had times where the chicks didn’t make it! But that’s what makes my chickens so special! I miss Hope so much! She was a very special girl! 😔💔
So! Stinking! Cute! Thank you for sharing your success story. I love hearing happy endings and kind people. There is way too much negativity in the world so hearing/reading about kindness is very heartwarming.

Hand rearing a chick is really not all that difficult. It's almost like keeping a parakeet. What I have done before is to keep the chick in a brooder. Even a small pet carrier with a heat lamp will do. Make sure to keep an accurate thermometer in there too. Keep the chick at 95 degrees for the first week. Then gradually decrease by 5 degrees each week as the chick grows. The temperature can be regulated by moving the heat lamp up or down. It is unwise to raise this baby for breeding but if you are willing to raise it as a pet and make it it's own separate area, I'm confident it will be grateful to you. I have seen chicken gratitude firsthand many times and it is very rewarding. My daughter raised a single hatched chick in a dog crate next to her bed until the day it laid its first egg. Now she is the queen of the flock.

I don’t know if I wrote in one of my earliest posts that I had never even had a brooder or heat lamp before and that morning we had just happened to set one up for the rejected chicks. If Hopes egg had broken on any other day I wouldn’t have been able to just scoop her up and put her straight under heat and I wouldn’t have already spent the morning researching temperatures and things. Her timing really was miraculous! I’m usually home by myself too with a toddler but my husband happened to be home to help run to the store to get the heat lamp etc. unbelievable how it all played out.
How r hope and the other chickies doing? They all must be growing heaps!

Back
Top Bottom