Broody hatched her eggs!

EmsoffLambs

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 13, 2007
Chilcoot, CA
big_smile.png
I tried to find the original post, but couldn't. It's been cold here, well below freezing, and my dark cornish hen decided to go broody. I wasn't sure how it would work letting her set when it's been so cold.

I gave her a dozen eggs and she hatched all but two of them two days ago! Six of the ten died. I think she stepped on them. The first one that died what the first to hatch. It was doing great when I checked on it, but then the next time was dead. Another had what looked like intestines hanging from it's rear, looking pretty weak before it died. The others I just found dead.

But she still has four that are doing great. She took them out of the nest today and showed them how to eat. It's still cold, but she really keeps them warm, hovering over them. They come out for a minute and then scurry right back under her to get warm. She's a very dutiful hen and seems to really enjoy being a new mommy. I'm happy, I was hoping that one of my hens would go broody. I just wasn't expecting it until spring! I guess Penny had other ideas though. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow.

YEAH!
I cannot wait for my broody to hatch some eggs...
That is an excellant hatch rate! Sorry about the 6 that died though. Maybe it was just too cold? Idk.
Did you buy the eggs or use them from your own flock?
wee.gif

Last edited:
I thought 10 out of 12 was pretty good. I don't know that the hatchlings froze because they were right under the hen, not on the edges. I really think she squished them moving around. It was her first clutch and I've read that they can do that when they're inexperienced. She's doing great with her new little ones though.

They were my own eggs. It looks like of the survivors there is one light brahma, one brahma/deleware cross, and two dark cornish/deleware crosses. At least these are my guesses based on the coloring and feathering on the legs. Whatever they are, they sure are cute scurrying in and out from under their mamma!

Back
Top Bottom