Broody hatching in nest boxes???

I have 3 momma hens and 5 baby chicks! 1 chick was running around outside in the run and another chick was under its momma on the floor when I got home and then I moved the others down. Everyone seems to be doing fine.
Do the chicks know which hen to stick with or do they go back and forth and the hens kinda raise them together?! Didn’t know if there’s ever fighting between momma hens over the babies or not?!
FFD6A129-25E3-4796-8364-91B204FBD061.jpeg
1051AE27-2DFF-49D8-B60C-5F0C22F15E95.jpeg

It will depend on your hens. Some will raise together. Some will steal chicks, and some will see others as a threat to them and attack. Watching what your hens do now should be a sign for how they will continue to act. Good luck.

I have 3 momma hens and 5 baby chicks! 1 chick was running around outside in the run and another chick was under its momma on the floor when I got home and then I moved the others down. Everyone seems to be doing fine.
Do the chicks know which hen to stick with or do they go back and forth and the hens kinda raise them together?! Didn’t know if there’s ever fighting between momma hens over the babies or not?!
View attachment 2801895View attachment 2801896
So cute! I’m glad it all went okay!😁

It will depend on your hens. Some will raise together. Some will steal chicks, and some will see others as a threat to them and attack. Watching what your hens do now should be a sign for how they will continue to act. Good luck.

They were all 3 nestled down next to each other on the coop floor when I checked on them this evening. The 2 other times I checked on them one hen was pecking some of the chicks a little when they would come up to her but not too bad. Everyone seems to be getting along and the other hens just come in to steal a little food but that’s it. My rooster follows them in too I’m guessing to make sure they behave!!! He’s a good boy, after some awful roosters my one I’ve had 3 years now has been wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom