Broody/Hatchtime question...

3peeps

Songster
12 Years
Jul 4, 2007
367
2
139
OK...we are on day 20 with my Buff orp on three eggs. She's in a nest box in the henhouse, with my two other hens outside and separated from mamma hen durring the day.

What's the best timing and procedure to use to move the mamma and her babies to a safe brooder box?

Part of me wants to leave her in the henhouse and temporarily house the other big girls someplace else. They've been spending the nights in the henhouse, with a makeshift divider between them and mamma.

She went broody before I had a chance to thoroughly think things through, and since this is my first anticipated hatch, I'm all thumbs. (Exciting but a bit impulsive on my part.)
 

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
21,494
964
393
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
Since I'd be afraid of disturbing the hen at this close to hatch, I'd take the other two out till momma hen gets up off the nest. After that, you can take momma and babies where ever you are gong to keep them without risk of leaving half hatched eggs in the nest. Best of luck.
 

Ellie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
1,013
7
181
Redding, Ca.
Yep, what Silkie Chicken said. I am new at this and so was my broody. I waited until all the chicks hatched and then waited until the next morning to move her to her new digs.

My friend carried the babies and I carried Lacy so she could see and hear them as we walked over to the broody pen.

She seems fine and content if that helps any.

Ellie
 

3peeps

Songster
12 Years
Jul 4, 2007
367
2
139
Thank you. I've got the other two ranging out in the yard during the days now until further notice, which of course they love and I should have done sooner.

We'll just have to see...day 22 and no hatches yet, but I'm giving it time.

Our weather here is not real great for this situation. The two big girls got rained/snowed on yesterday for a couple hours while I was gone. They were WET.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom