Broody help

16 and me

Songster
Oct 31, 2022
My 2 yr old Buff Orpington went broody and on June 6th sat on a clutch of eggs. Between sharp drops in temperature the first week and then a dog attack in the 2nd week, causing her to flee the nest for a few hours, the stress left her with a failed hatch. She's not giving up even though the eggs are gone. So, I am on the hunt for some day old chicks, but if I have no luck, how long should I give her before I let her sit again? Poor mama. Her last hatch had only 1 pullet who is now laying, but a lonely little hen she is. I'm hoping a few baby sisters will help her too.

My 2 yr old Buff Orpington went broody and on June 6th sat on a clutch of eggs. Between sharp drops in temperature the first week and then a dog attack in the 2nd week, causing her to flee the nest for a few hours, the stress left her with a failed hatch. She's not giving up even though the eggs are gone. So, I am on the hunt for some day old chicks, but if I have no luck, how long should I give her before I let her sit again? Poor mama. Her last hatch had only 1 pullet who is now laying, but a lonely little hen she is. I'm hoping a few baby sisters will help her too.
I'm so sorry to hear that, I feel for you right now. This is because of the fact I completely lost one of my chickens to a stray cat who I'm only now realizing would do parimidar checks around the coop completely pushing down the grass with over 4 holes in the fences. He took my favorite hen Fluffbum who was super tame and even got off her nest when I'd come to the coop to show me her eggs, she had about give and Im now trying to incubate them to save her hatch.

I'd say to maybe give her a week or two of not brooding and then check if she still has a brood patch, I'm hoping she actually has one or she might now be the best broody. Also I do want you to know that I suggest moving her if she does go broody again, like to a brooding pen where she can be completely alone to mother by herself to do it just as she likes. This will hopefully give you a better hatch rate.

Back
Top Bottom