Broody hen (Again)?

WDE

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I've got a BO that has gone broody again. The first time was just a few months ago so I got the bright idea of buying a dozen fertile eggs to put under her. Five of em hatched at the end of Feb. and four are roosters (just my luck). Now the roosters are giving the hens heck. I'm about to get rid of the roosters cause I hate them. If they tick me off one more time I may eat them! Anyway, my BO has gone broody again and sittin on the eggs in 95 degree heat for about a week. I collect the eggs daily but I'm worried about them getting too hot and not being good to eat. Also, other than giving her away, how can I get her to stop being broody? I hate to get rid of her because she is a pretty darn good chicken. I can pick her up off the eggs and she just puffs up but has never even pecked. I'm looking out the window at her as I type this and she is going nuts trying to get back in the coop. I really don't have the time to lock her up and let her out all the time or put her in some type of cage. Any ideas would be appreciated. And no, I couldn't bring myself to eat this one!

Last edited:
I would eat the cockerels for sure - but that is what happens at our house.

As for your broody - cherish her
big_smile.png
I do not break them, just give them eggs so they can do what nature wants. But I have read that a cool bath will lower her body temp and can/will stop her broodiness.
hu.gif

So, dumb question, but what's wrong with having a broody hen? My husband says they stop laying eggs, is that true?

We don't have any fertile eggs for our two broodies, but if they're not laying, I'm wondering what the point of keeping them is?

Also, I am concerned about how they sit together in the same nest with this almost 100% weather here
sad.png

Mamichi

Not a dumb question. Some people love broodies - stick fertile eggs under and no muss, hardly any fuss - 21 days later chicks.

Others do not like them because they do stop laying - their bodies are saving resources to incubate eggs (hens will stay on the nest and eat little), and a broody does not start laying right away after hatch. She usually starts when her chicks are about 6 weeks old - so you are out eggs from the broody hen for 10 weeks or longer.

You can put food and water with in reach of the girls on the nest - this is what I do and it really helps keep my broodies in decent shape.

When I first planned which breeds I wanted for my flock, I reviewed Henderson's Handy Dandy Chicken Chart a great deal. I didn't want "just layers" because they're kinda scrawny looking (to me). I like hefty chickens, although I have absolutely NO intention of eating any of them. So I chose the dual purpose breeds, and those I thought were pretty.

BOs are listed as occasionally/frequently broody. So are Australorps (makes sense to me, they're slightly related), but both of those breeds are really nice looking. So I got 'em.

Since I've never even gotten a prize in a box of Cracker Jacks, I sorta figgered I'd never have a broody hen. Dunno why those two items equate, in my mind, but I just thought I wouldn't have to deal with a broody hen.
idunno.gif

Now my BO has gone broody. I think it's sort of exciting. She's only got 3 eggs under her, and only one of 'em is hers. So if she's not successful, that's only 3 eggs gone. Ummm, plus any she would normally have laid, yah, that's right. So, maybe 30 eggs. Oh well.

I actually don't care if my chickens lay ANY eggs - they're just a great bonus for having chickens. I like 'em whether they lay or not.

Back
Top Bottom