broody hen and broken eggs!! Why?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by supermom1185, Aug 30, 2011.

1. supermom1185

supermom1185 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    I have my first broody hen. She is a game hen and is very protective of her nest (puffing up and "growling" when a hen or person gets close). She started sitting 5 days ago on 5 eggs. On the 2nd day I put two more eggs under her for 7 total. They were a mix from 4 hens and one was white, 2 light brown, and 4 cream. Today (day 5) when she got up for a minute I checked them and there were only the 4 cream eggs under her. I looked closer and found the pieces of the white egg and the 2 light brown ones! What could have happened to those 3 eggs? Do they break if they are duds, would she break them on purpose, or did some critter get to them somehow? I know my rooster has been visiting all the hens so at least some of the eggs should have been fertile. Like I said, this is my first time trying to raise chicks. It is too late to add any new eggs to the nest right? Is there anything I should be doing to help out the remaining eggs or do I just let her take care of everything? Thanks for any advice! [​IMG]

2. mommywoes

mommywoes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    [​IMG] I think she broke the eggs herself.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    She might be eating them! I've had this happen. Maybe some way they know somethings wrong with them!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by