? Broody hen and what to do

brains

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 26, 2013
Geauga County, Ohio
I have 2 silkie hens and 2 silkie roosters. I started getting eggs and a month ago and I think from only one hen, usually every other day but at times every day. Today I went to the coop to give scraps and she was in the nest box and would not leave. She fluffed up and made some noise when I went to touch her, I am guessing broody?
I have almost a dozen of her eggs in the fridge and was wondering if in fact she is broody, can I put some of them under her if she moves?
How can I tell if the eggs I have are fertilized?
I am totally new to the chicken scene, please help
Thanks
Ed

Last edited:
So I guess there is no way other than cracking it? What are the chances that a refrigerated egg would hatch. I have about a dozen saved in the fridge
Ed

I can't tell you a percent, but probably some would. And no, there is no other way to learn whether they are fertile, other than incubating them, of course.

Since your chickens just startedl laying, it might be best to eat what you have, and collect a fresh batch and keep them at room temp for about a week, turning them once or twice a day. For one thing, their first eggs are usually a bit small and do not always do as well in hatching as eggs laid a little later in their laying cycle -- even a month or two, or whenthe eggs get a bit larger.

Back
Top Bottom