Broody hen at it again.

donnaboydjones

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2011
Whidbey Island, Washington State
I got a americana hen back in August and a month later she went broody and hatched three babies back at the end of Septemeber. Last night, I found her laying on another clutch of eggs. We live in Washington state in the Whidbey Island area and we are about to get our super windy, rainy and maybe snow time. I was worried about her last babies, because it was fall and getting cold, but she and they did fine. Her last babies are 7 weeks tomorrow.

Up until getting her in August, I've never had a broody hen , so this is all new to me. Do I interviene or leave her alone? Attached is a pic with her last babies after they hatched.

My silkie on Bainbridge is doing the same thing. I tried pitching her off the nest a few times, but she's pretty determined, so I've decided to let her go ahead with it. The only ones laying are the new pullets, so I'm not even sure the eggs are fertile, but what the heck.

My silkie on Bainbridge is doing the same thing. I tried pitching her off the nest a few times, but she's pretty determined, so I've decided to let her go ahead with it. The only ones laying are the new pullets, so I'm not even sure the eggs are fertile, but what the heck.
They are her eggs and a few others from a older americana hen( 2 years) and another americana hen(8mths old) and my americana rooster(2 years) mates with them and not my speckled sussex 8mth old rooster as far as I've seen, but who knows when I'm not watching. I'm sure mine are fertile. She had only three under her in September and all three hatched. I guess I'll leave her alone then. Headed to Seattle for " Wicked" today, but I think tomorrow , I'll set her up away from the flock.

She will keep them warm as long as you have an area that is out of the wind and is well ventilated... I keep mine in a cage in the hen house until they are a few weeks old..t

the cutest little things!!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom