Broody Hen becoming a target of bullying - Stressed out

ANelson726

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 6, 2013
Mount Hood, Pacific Northwest
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 14 month old Ameraucana hen who has been broody for the last 6 weeks. I have no use for a broody hen. We only have 4 hens, and no rooster. We live in a suburban neighborhood, so we can't have any more chickens. I've tried to break her of this broody habit and haven't made any progress. I will take her out of the nest box several times a day, and she always goes back in 20 minutes later. My other three hens lay throughout the day, so I can't shut the coop door, or they will throw a fit.

I figured she would eventually grow out of this, but now the other girls are targeting her a bit. They have started chasing her away from the food, and occasionally pecking at her head. A few days ago she fought back and jumped on top of our Golden Sexlink, and today I witnessed our Buff Orpington peck her head and yank a few feathers out. This always sends her running back to the nest box.

She is such a sweetheart otherwise. A little high strung, doesn't like to be held, but even when she is broody she never shows any hostility towards me. She poofs up and clucks at me, but lets me reach under her to collect eggs every day, and never fights when I take her out of the box.

I've heard the best way to break a broody chicken is to put her in a wire bottomed cage for a few days to cool her belly down. I've been searching for a used rabbit hutch for a few days, but I'm hesitant to seclude her like that. Last time I had a sick chicken, and I quarantined her for a few days, there was a lot of hostility when I returned her to the flock.

My whole flock dynamic has been turned upside down. My normally sweet and gentle girls are ganging up on her, and everyone is quite clearly stressed. I'm desperate for some help! Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Here's a photo of my girls a few months ago, before everything went downhill.

Because of their change in demeanor, broody hens are frequently perceived as 'different' by their flockmates. As such they are treated as strangers - in chicken society that frequently equates to attacked. Lock her in a pen AWAY from her nest site - it may take more than a few days, but she will break. Feed her back into condition so that she can fight her way back into the pecking order. Chicken social structure is frequently cruel.

Back
Top Bottom