Broody hen being picked at

Mr Potatoes

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2016
Hi, I have five 1 and a half year old Faverolles. So far they seem happy and healthy. However, I recently had a hen become broody (this isn't the first time this hen has done this). I don't have any eggs to hatch, so I'm trying to break it by picking her up and setting her outside for 10-20 minutes everyday. However, when I do that, I let my other hens out as well and one of them comes over and starts trying to attack the broody one, to the point where she draws blood. The hen that's attacking has been fairly aggressive, although this is the first time that there's been blood. Does anyone have any advice on how to stop this? I don't really have another coop or tractor to isolate the aggressive one, though. Any help is appreciated!

I forgot to mention this, I've noticed that the aggressive hen seems to pick a lot on hens that are broody (I've had two hens be broody, twice each). Whenever they are out foraging and they seem to kind of move closer to each other, I pick up the aggressive one for a minute or so and put her down a bit away.

I'm trying to break it by picking her up and setting her outside for 10-20 minutes everyday. However, when I do that, I let my other hens out as well and one of them comes over and starts trying to attack the broody one, to the point where she draws blood.

I'm a little confused about your set-up?

Are your hens in a coop or coop/run - do they have access to outdoors - some photos may be helpful.

To break your broody, she needs to have air circulating around her to help lower her temperature. If you can place her in a kennel inside the run up off the ground that would be ideal.

Once you break your broody - use the same kennel to separate your picking hen - essentially placing her in jail - sometimes this will correct behavior.

Having plenty of space for them in the coop and run - some perches outside and a few things to pick at (hanging veggies/fruit) or a pile of leaves/hay to dig through can be helpful to limit aggression as well.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/05/broody-breaker-when-hens-mood-to-hatch.html

Back
Top Bottom