Broody hen, can she adopt chicks and hatch eggs?

Shoudimae

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2021
I have a broody hen, she has 4 eggs under her that should be hatching within the next few days I’m guessing. I bought 3 chicks at the feed store yesterday and I am wondering if I can slip the chicks underneath her tonight, and if she accepts them, will she still try to wait for the others to hatch? I candled a few days ago and they looked like about day 18 ish.
I’d love for her to adopt the feed store chicks but I also don’t want her to give up on the eggs that are about to hatch underneath her!

I would wait for all the hatching to finish and when Momma is doing her broody thing with the chicks just slip them under her at night and I bet she takes care of them. Once she is in caring for chicks broody mode instead of hatching - babies are babies.

I have had great success with a hen that just wanted to be a Momma but wasn't broody or laying at the moment. I put her in the coop with the just-hatched-from-incubator babies and a heat lamp and she went full broody in three days (broody poop and all!) Chickens are so awesome.

Thank you guys!!!
I wasn’t sure if she would still sort of take care of the adopted chicks, but also still try to finish hatching the eggs under her. I will wait for the chicks to hatch and then slip the feed store chicks under her!!
Thank you!!

Generally hens leave the nest within 24 to 36 hours of the first chick hatching. They are biologically programmed to do so that their chicks can access feed and water.

Back
Top Bottom