Broody Hen: care and when to give fertile eggs

As for the other hens bothering her - give THEM another nest. My hens always love a new nest, just rig something with an egg in it, kind of hidden and they will be there.

My advice is not to move her at the end. She knows way more about raising chicks than either you or I do. I have learned to leave them where they are. I do check the coop about three times a day when I have a broody hen setting. Because sometimes they will get on the WRONG nest. But don't worry about it, just move them back, even if the outside of the eggs feel cool. I was positive they were dead, but people here said they would be fine and they hatched right on time.

What my bloodies have done, is hatch. You will go down and hear an occasional peep, the best sound ever. LEAVE HER ALONE! About 24 hours later, all of my birds have left the nest, mine is about 3 feet off the ground, and create a new nest on the ground. 3-4 days ahead - I have put new bedding down. She picks the place.

At that time, I will put a waterer and feed fairly close to the nest, and she will teach them to eat and drink. Then again, I leave them alone. Within 2-3 days, she will take them out to the flock.

Now one of the reasons I leave the broody with the flock is because she is a moody, aggressive bird and EVERYONE learns to give her space. I think this helps when she brings out the chicks. They look, but not too close. She will naturally place herself between the layers and the chicks.

I try and let mine out to free range just to give everyone a bit mores space. But really that is it.

Do know, not every egg will hatch. This is normal. And some chicks might not make it, that too is normal. But the ones that do will be very healthy and active. Out exploring, getting much more exercise and fresh air and sunshine than a brooder raised chick that is perfectly safe.

Mrs K

Mrs. K and aart, thank you both for your input. Based on this advice, I'm going to leave her right where she is in her nesting box until after chicks come (Easter or day before!) - that's definitely where she wants to be. This morning, I found a coop-mate nestled in there on top of her (because that IS the favorite nesting box). I guess I just hope that if that continues, the other hen will just drop her egg and then get out of there with no harm done (there is only one other hen doing that - the others are laying elsewhere). Not ideal, but I can't monitor all the time and I think as you mentioned it's more risky to disrupt my broody. I left some eggs in the 3rd nesting box today instead of collecting - to encourage use of that box instead.

New question... My nesting boxes are about 18" off the floor (that is soft with deep litter). Is this safe? Mrs. K, I'm curious how your hen gets the chicks to the coop floor? Or do you assist with that? I have a large wire dog crate set up with a nest box, feeder and waterer within that I hope to get her to once the chicks arrive. I'm looking for advice to make that transition successful.

My nesting boxes are about 18" off the floor (that is soft with deep litter).
I've seen a broody hen get her chicks out of a 10' high hay loft. She said "jump" and they did. They bounced up and ran to her. My nests are 2' and 4' off of the coop floor, my broody hens get their chicks down safely every hatch. I've seen a chick walk behind a broody just as she scratched. That chick went flying a few feet, jumped up, and ran to Momma.

Those chicks are a lot tougher than many people think. I've seen many posts on here where people say they move their broodies to the coop floor because of this. Many people recommend to others that they move their broodies before hatch for this reason or they move them to the coop floor after they hatch. I don't do that myself and I don't recommend it to others, especially for a mere 18". I trust my broodies to manage something like this.

My fertilized eggs are marked and I'm trying not to disturb her but I'll pull her eggs to "candle" and check viability on Thursday/day 5 (in 3 more days) so if there are any extras in there I'll pull them then.

I trust those of you who have been through this before and am convinced that my hen will take care of getting them out of the nest safely. I'm thankful for this forum & Ihope I can share a success story after Easter (due date)!

Don't let other hens in the nest when the eggs are hatching!
I have almost lost chicks from that, as they can get thrown out, crushed, or even deliberately killed.
From around day 19 onwards, she most likely won't want to come of the nest until they have all hatched anyway, so find something to block the nest off with.
I just use a bit of plywood, leaving a nice gap at the top for ventilation.
Put food and water in, and keep an eye on her to see if she needs to come out; and let her out if she does.

UPDATE: Today is day 5 since I gave the eggs to my broody hen. I candled the eggs! (a first for me) and could clearly see that all 5 eggs are viable! each had clear network of veins going into a dark embryo spot. I'm surprised at how excited I am!!

I'm keeping some non-viable eggs under my second broody ot make her feel useful and I've been leaving a couple eggs in our 3rd vacant nesting box to encourage the others to lay there - and that seems to be working. I didn't find any "extras" under my broody mama so I think we're good! I also found one of those big broody poops in the coop so I'm sure even though I never see her do it, that broody mama is getting up here and there to do her thing. She sure is dedicated though!

I'd again like to thank those on this forum who offered advice so far. Having a network of more experienced chicken keepers is a very nice thing to have when testing out new waters - thanks all!

IMG_0940.jpg

Here is Broody momma sitting strong on day 18. She is wonderful and dedicated. I've seen her off the nest only twice and both times she was eating and I found the large stinky broody poop so I assume she was taking care of business. Both of those times I had the opportunity to remove several of the other hens eggs, leaving her 5 fertile eggs there.

I wanted to check in with this knowledgeable group to ask if I'm overlooking anything I need to do in these final days. It was a cold morning (15 degrees) in the coop, but I have a clear roof and it will be sunny today so it will warm up quick in there and we have a stretch of 40 degree (20s low) sunny weather coming so that's fortunate.

IMG_0942.jpg

Here is a picture of my coop. You can see her nest is elevated but only 18" off the soft, dry deep litter floor. You can also see the wire dog kennel set up as a nursery. Should I assist her into the nursery with her chicks or see what happens naturally? Also, I'll have chick feed & water available in there - should I shut them in for the first few days for everyone's safety?

I'm SO excited!!

It was a cold morning (15 degrees)
F or C?
Even F is fine.
I'd leave that crate open, she might take them in there once they've all hatched.
If that's the main flock feeder, might want to move it away from the crate.

RE: Removing other eggs...did you mark the ones you wanted to hatch at the beginning?
Freshly laid eggs should really be removed daily.

Back
Top Bottom