Broody hen day 21!

So we had 8 out of 10 hatch! She's done great at showing them around and letting them be all over her! It is so amazing to watch and we are so very thankful. I am not sure when to take the last two eggs out, I don't want them to stink of they aren't going to hatch.
And more pictures, just because!!!

Awww!! I'm glad that most of them hatched! And if she isn't paying any attention to the last eggs I would candle them and see if they r any good. And most likely if she has completely abandoned then they r bad. But don't take my word for it, cuz I'm new to hatching too. But that's what I would do personally.

I hope all the chicks do good! :)

My eggs have roughly 2 to 5 days left!!! Can't wait!!!! XD I hope my cochin banty hen will be a good mama!

OMG the first chick hatched!! Yeah! She/he looks like a little chipmunk lol! Idk what breed the mama is, but I know what the dad is; Rhode Island Red. Can't wait to see what the feathers will look like! And can't wait for the other 4 chicks to hatch. Frazzle( mama hen, but none of the eggs are actually hers lol) did a good job. Originally had 6 eggs but 1 quit a couple days ago. Still think she did good for a first time broody. She was also my first hen to go broody.

Too funny. I just read where you saw the mother peck at a chirping chick. Itnhaooens all. The. Time. It's like they get annoyed by constant whining like human parents do. Ha ha ha they babies are adorable!

If she is up walking around, I'd say it's safe to take the eggs out they can't hatch without her staying on the nest.

Last edited:
OMG the first chick hatched!! Yeah! She/he looks like a little chipmunk lol! Idk what breed the mama is, but I know what the dad is; Rhode Island Red. Can't wait to see what the feathers will look like! And can't wait for the other 4 chicks to hatch. Frazzle( mama hen, but none of the eggs are actually hers lol) did a good job. Originally had 6 eggs but 1 quit a couple days ago. Still think she did good for a first time broody. She was also my first hen to go broody.

How fun!!! It has been such a fun experience for us. Once our 8th hatched, mother was already up and off the nest. Even that little last one was chirping so sadly all alone in the nest and the hen was a few feet away with the others. But, it made it! Then, the next day, the mother hen actually scratched the nest on top of the remaining two eggs. I thought it was very amazing, that she was sort of burying what wasn't going to hatch! We took them out at that point.
Here are the beginning pics of our look-alikes!

Update!!!
We made a "play pen" so that they could be outside but be separated still.
We used an old dog fence that can be pieced together. Then zip tied cardboard and chicken wire! Easy breezy!!
Their dog crate house pushes up right so the doors match.
They are happy learning to scratch and be outside. I am thankful. We are seriously learning this one day at a time.

Hi this is my first day in backyard chicken ... I have a question . It's for the first time that I gave eggs to my broody hen and today is the 21 St day and I can see only one chick out of 13 eggs .. What should I do ? is there possibility for other eggs to hatch or should I romove those eggs now

Hi :welcome

If the hen is still sitting leave everything be for now. She will know when hatch is done and leave the nest so her chicks can feed and have a drink of water. 21 days is just a guide even for broody hens. Some can hatch early some later. They don't all hatch at the same time, that would be just to easy for us worried chicken keepers!!

For now leave her be and let nature take its course. Wishing you the very best of luck :fl

Newbie expectant mother question. I have a hen that's been broody about 9 days, today I looked under her and there are 6 eggs. Since we didn't plan to breed when we built the coop, the nest boxes are just big enough to lay eggs in. Do I need to worry about her cramped conditions? Also, what about food and water? Theres no place to put any food/water dish. I've been putting a cucumber in the box to keep her from dehydrating. Could she be getting up at night to eat and drink?

Newbie expectant mother question. I have a hen that's been broody about 9 days, today I looked under her and there are 6 eggs. Since we didn't plan to breed when we built the coop, the nest boxes are just big enough to lay eggs in. Do I need to worry about her cramped conditions? Also, what about food and water? Theres no place to put any food/water dish. I've been putting a cucumber in the box to keep her from dehydrating. Could she be getting up at night to eat and drink?

I am kinda new too, and I had the same concern. But most hens get off the nest for no more than half an hour( enough time to eat drink and poop without the eggs getting too cold) every day, give or take, and will be fine. The first time I let my broody hatch eggs I put a small plastic cup filled with food in the nest box for her, she spilled the food and sat on the cup lol! And yes the hen will get skinny. And make sure the nest box is on or very close to the ground, is the chicks can get out when they need food and water. Most of the time you will never see her get up. I hope you have a good hatch! :)

Back
Top Bottom