Broody hen for nearly two months....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henmommy, Jul 8, 2010.

1. henmommy

henmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Is this normal??? She is barely a year old and the only one sitting in the nest ALL Day, EVERY DAY!!

2. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    Is she eating and drinking? I am a newbie - but I had two hens hatch babies this spring, now I am currently trying to break a broody by putting her in a wire cage - it is not going real well - she is stubborn, but I don't want more chicks.

Maybe you should give her eggs to hatch, or get some day old chicks to put under her - or try to break her of broodiness. There are several methods if you search on this site to break a broody - but most say to put them in a wire cage - elevated, and give them no nesting material - just food and water.

I just know they don't lay eggs during that time, and it does take a toll on them over time.

3. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I have a broody that's been broody since March!!!! [​IMG] She's a pain in my butt!! Not only that, but I now have a second bantam hen that has been broody for about 2 months, and a Barred Rock went broody a week ago!! Now 3 of the 4 nesting boxes are taken, and my hens have started laying elsewhere! I went in search of eggs yesterday and found a broody hen outside the barn with at least 15 eggs!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by