Broody hen for over 30 days

Mar 23, 2019
Eastern Missouri
Our Easter egger, Anna, has been broody for very long now. It has been almost 40 days since she has been back to normal. We’ve dunked her in a cold tub, locked her in our isolation coop, and continues to run into the nest as soon as she’s free. She’s constantly puffed up and angry. We close the nesting boxes after normal laying hours so she won’t be able to get in. When she isn’t trying desperately to claw open the nests or protesting under neath them, she is digging in the run to make a spot to sit in. I’m worried she’s not getting enough nutrients because she’s always in there. Any advice? Should I just let her be or is this something that could harm her? I know they are only supposed to be broody for 21 days so this is pretty unhealthy I’m guessing. Thanks! And for reference she is a female light grey 1 year old Easter egger.

Hens will stay broody until they hatch something or they get so low in reserves that they break. Dunking hens does nothing. You need to pen them in a wire bottom crate slightly elevated off the ground for 3-7 days depending on the hen. Keep them in there. Feed and water them in there. In 3-5 days release them. If they return back to the nest they go back in.

Back
Top Bottom