Broody hen getting up day 19

Awesome, and another question i can have rooster in there with her correct? Their a pair but i moved her to new pen because the pen they were last in wasn’t chick friendly. So you think i can put him into that new one tomorrow?
You could have, not that he would stay if he could get out. I don't confine broody hens so they go and see their roosters most days.
Roosters are uncomfortable being confined with a broody hen. You can sometimes see this in free range flocks where a hen has decided to hatch her eggs in the same coop as the rooster. There have been a few occasions when I've had to put the rooster in because he was initially reluctant.
However, given you've kept the broody hen seperate I would now wait for the chicks to hatch. What should happen if the hen can is at some point she will want to rejoin the rest of the group. At that time or before, the rooster imprints the chicks. Once he's done that and accepted the chicks the hen with her chicks should be fine.

UPDATE: i ended up moving rooster in with her. Before i did i seen a small chick poking his head out. I left door open for him to come out if he liked but never did other then to walk around and watch the other 3 chicks. The young rooster came to the hens door and the mate rooster came running back and blocked his path. Seems like he likes them!! I set up a roost for him as he was hopping on top of her nesting box. As the day was going more chicks came out and before i came inside i seen 6 chicks out of 14 or 15 eggs(i kinda forgot how many i counted😅) but all the other ones seemed to have pip. Going great so far!!

This a picture of early this morning after the 2nd one cane out.

Attachments

• 077D50B1-03F0-4B9F-96A1-974ECB3E9F1F.jpeg
    077D50B1-03F0-4B9F-96A1-974ECB3E9F1F.jpeg
    607.6 KB · Views: 6
Are feathers like this normal? They’re not smooth

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom