Broody hen got off eggs for around 15 hours will they still hatch

ChocMint

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Sydney,Australia
I have a hen that off the eggs sometime in the morning, She was on them at night, I only discovered the nest the past weekend and when candled they were solid black and should be around days 14+. The nest was made on a slope at the back of my mango tree, So when she go off them they slipped down the slope. It summer in my country and its boiling so the eggs were cool but not totally cold. Shes back sitting on them after I placed them again. What are the chances of the embryos pulling through?

Not really sure but it's worth persevering I think. Is there any way you can put a barrier to stop the eggs rolling out of her nest? You could also consider moving the nest to a safer location, but that could run the risk of her abandoning the eggs.

Good luck!

Ct

Not really sure but it's worth persevering I think. Is there any way you can put a barrier to stop the eggs rolling out of her nest? You could also consider moving the nest to a safer location, but that could run the risk of her abandoning the eggs.

Good luck!

Ct

I live on a hill so there is not much options and I would love to move it to a nest box but as you said she might abandon the nest but I also like the spot where she is now as the shade from the canopy of the mango tree is the only escape from the heat on my property.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom