Broody hen got up 5 days to hatch HELP

startingover

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Northern Kentucky
Looked out the window and my broody hen was outside. Ran to the chicken house and there was an egg opened partially formed chick with blood and yoke all over. Eggs still warm so I know she wasn't off long. Rushed the eggs into the house and plugged in the incubator and put the eggs in. They are filthy but should I wash them? Help! Need thoughts on what to do!

I am no expert, by any means. But I would just wipe them off as best as I could and put them in the bator. I get that you are telling us she gave up, right? Try candling too. See if there's life or if they are unfertile. Then go from there.

Good luck.

Well I wiped them off the best I could. They were so nasty that I couldn't even candle them. I ended up throwing 5 away that were either not fertile or had bloodrings. There is 3 left that I'm not sure are alive but put them in the bator and will check again in a few days.

One of the eggs is a green EE egg. Do they always look different from brown eggs? Instead of a dark mass it looks red colored. I've never candled a green one before so I don't know. I'm used to guinea eggs as I have never hatched my chicken eggs before.

Back
Top Bottom