Broody hen hatched 7 eggs, one egg hatched 3 days later in incubator

Meranaldar

Chirping
Mar 17, 2021
Hello.
A broody hen had 10 eggs, 7 of them hatched on Monday, and on Tuesday she had stopped sitting on other eggs, so I moved the remaining 3 to an incubator. I had pretty much given up on them, but then this morning (Thursday) one of them hatched.
It has curly toes, I've put tape on them as I've read, but I'm not sure what to do with it regarding getting it with the others.

The other chicks are now very active and the mother isn't really sitting on them much (it's summer and quite warm here), I thought maybe keep the late one in the incubator until this evening when she settles down and take it out to put under her.
Though I'm worried about it not getting enough warmth tomorrow because of how active the mother and other chicks are now.

I'm not sure what to do otherwise, I don't really have a brooder set up because I had a broody hen to look after them.

Any advice?
Thank you.

If chick dries out,, I think it is safe to place her under hen ,, preferably at night,. Just slip under hen when all are sleeping.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I left it in the incubator overnight, removed the tape from its feet which seemed to be ok now.
I saw what seemed a good opportunity so gave it a go, took it out in the afternoon and slipped it in while everyone was crowded around the feeder, it's like none even noticed the addition, and the mother accepted it fine.
I wasn't sure about trying to do it at night since all the chickens they get quite agitated when I do anything around them at night. I keep hearing how calm they are for things like that at night but I've never seen that with mine.

One problem came with another hen who attacked it quite viciously, with the mother defending just as much. Hadn't had much problems with the other hens until that point. Thankfully it came seems to have come out of it ok. Half the run is now fenced off for them.
The other hens are out in the yard most of the day so don't spend much time there except to eat and sleep.

Back
Top Bottom