Broody hen hatched some chicks. Now what?

ThorsHammer

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 26, 2013
Cleveland, Tennessee
New to the chick raising game.

I have a broody hen that just successfully hatched a couple of chicks. Should I get them and brood them indoors or let her take care of them? (deep south already in the 80's everyday)

The Broody hen and new chicks are in with 3 other adult chickens (1 large hen and 2 small Roosters).

Me too. I'm planning on letting her do all the dirty work, au natural. I know I've got to keep the chicks out of the layer feed and the other hens out of medicated chick starter, so I've got to do some rearranging..but other than that, I don't think she needs my help much. Interested in others thoughts as well though.

The decision was easy. I went outside to check on my chicks and one of them was laying on the ground under the coop chirping. it had either fallen out or had been knocked out. I removed the chick and brought them in the house to brood.

I put my hen & chicks in a seperate pen. I call it the broody pen. That prevents the adults from hurting the chicks and solves the problem of the chicks eating layer feed and the adults eating up all the expensive chick starter feed.
Sometimes in a large clutch I have some early hatchers that jump or fall out of the nest so I brood them inside until all the eggs hatch and the hen & rest of the chicks jump out of the nest. Then I give them back to moma hen.

The little chick was getting lonely and was peeping his or her heart out. We got the idea of placing a stuffed toy dog in the brooder with it. The chick loved it. Hasn't made a sound in over an hour.

0.jpg

My 7 chicks have all been moved outdoors and are doing well. They are very competitive so I organized a game of chicken football.

Back
Top Bottom