Broody Hen Hatched Some :)

CoopedUpChicken

Chirping
May 20, 2015
We are excited as our broody cochin hatched some eggs. Everyone is outside and she is in a nursery coop (smaller coop separate from the other big hen coop).

I put out the starter chick crumbles and chick waterer - but they are only a day old if that.

So, is there anything else I need to be aware of?
She still has unhatched eggs under her as well - and I don't know if they will hatch or not....but will she take the babies out of the coop for a walk during the day to eat, etc... after a certain point or will she stay on the eggs and not take care of the babies?

We are excited as our broody cochin hatched some eggs. Everyone is outside and she is in a nursery coop (smaller coop separate from the other big hen coop).

I put out the starter chick crumbles and chick waterer - but they are only a day old if that.

So, is there anything else I need to be aware of?
She still has unhatched eggs under her as well - and I don't know if they will hatch or not....but will she take the babies out of the coop for a walk during the day to eat, etc... after a certain point or will she stay on the eggs and not take care of the babies?
There will come a time when the hen will take the chicks to eat and drink. You can keep the hen on unhatched eggs by removing the chicks that have hatched and then give the chicks back when the hatching is done.

Be careful of edges, ledges, and drop offs where the chicks might get separated from their mother.

Back
Top Bottom