Broody hen help, please

Update three days later: two broodies, the Olive Egger and Marans are broken and back with the flock, acting normal. One of the remaining ones, a Silver Gray Dorking, stopped sitting on her eggs today, even though she did so for two days after I moved her. I took her eggs and put them under the remaining broody hen, a Barnevelder. There have been four eggs that I have discarded because they were oozy and smelly. Now there are seven eggs remaining. I have looked at the candling pictures here on a nice thread, but cannot tell if the remaining eggs are ok. One has the bloody appearance with two black stripes I saw on one post here and there was a name for that. Should I discard that egg? All the eggs are now at the stage where it is just all dark inside with an air pocket on one side, so with none of the eggs being white, I can't tell very much detail with candling. Are there other things to look for when deciding when to discard eggs? Do broodies sometimes just stop sitting because it has been 21 days? I do not know if any of these eggs are good. I have had chickens go broody and then get out of it on their own after three or so weeks before I ever had a cockerel/rooster.
I can't tell from your description , it may be a blood ring, may be just they are advanced on development, it took me a while to learn to do it accurately,my broodies if a chick quits kick the egg out of from under them as they tend to know. Broodies do what broodies do, you did what you needed to do moving them to safer area now just relax and let the broody do her job.

Back
Top Bottom