Broody hen HELP!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WooingWyandotte, Aug 28, 2011.

1. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    This broody hen has sat on icecubes, her eggs are taken away, and we've even dipped her in water! Any other ideas? None have worked!

2. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    What kind of chicken is she? Have you tried the wire cage method?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Oh dear......maybe you don't want to hear this.....give her a couple of fertile eggs. I am a softie and it ALWAYS works.

4. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    Give her golfballs or plastic easter eggs. After a few days she'll realize that they aren't real eggs-- or at least mine did. And yes, try the cage method. Works great!!

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    The only sure-fire way I've been able to break mine is caging them (other than letting them hatch and raise chicks). I put a dog crate in the coop, with food and water, and then keep the hen in there for three days. It's always worked for me! [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I just read of a method someone used that worked several times for them. It does require a wire bottom cage, also a small fan. Put her in the cage, no nesting material, prop the cage up, put a pan of water under the cage, run a small fan over the water. It's the cage method with added cooling to her bottom side.

I've had them stay broody for months sitting on golf balls of just an empty nest.

7. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Thanks for all the helpful replies! And she is a Rhode Island Red.

8. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    The "broody coop" should work. Always has for me but after you've let them set for a few days it may take longer to work. All I've ever used for a "broody coop" is a wire cage off the ground (or floor) with food (layer ration) and water. Regards, Woody

9. AlbionWood

AlbionWood Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Albion, California
    Ilovemyladies! :

Give her golfballs or plastic easter eggs. After a few days she'll realize that they aren't real eggs-- or at least mine did.

I think you just got lucky there. Giving them anything that resembles an egg is usually guaranteed to make them brood even more stubbornly. It was hilarious to watch ours fiercely brooding a golf ball until we accumulated a clutch of real eggs for her!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by