Broody hen hits day 21 tomorrow! Tips?

Lori J

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2017
96EA7ECB-96B3-4C04-AA0B-B7E793CA70C0.jpeg

This is my first time for a broody hen to hatch eggs. They are actually eggs that I put under her when she went broody because we don’t have a rooster. Any tips? I certainly hope that they hatch. When they do hatch what do you think of this set up? Do you think that the chicks will be able to go up and down the ramp safely? How long would you recommend keeping them locked up away from the other birds? (This coop is currently locked keep the other hens out)

Edit: The picture of the ramp is sideways but my picture in my photos it’s not I’m not sure how to fix that, sorry. Thank

Attachments

• DD257B8F-520A-451A-8FDE-26BE2F427716.jpeg
    DD257B8F-520A-451A-8FDE-26BE2F427716.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 6
I would actually keep the hen and chicks inside the coop and not let them intonthw run for a couple days. They get separated easily and if there are 2 groups, she might leave one group outside when she goes in at night with the other group
No they are locked in their own coop. The hen cannot leave. The broody hen is the only one in the coop or run. We have another coop and run, but the broody hen is locked in alone in one.

No, I mean I would lock the mom and babies in the building and not allow access to the run for a few days until the chicks are able to climb the ramp. If some are outside and some are Inside the coop, the hen is likely to leave the outside chicks and they can freeze in a short while

I agree, I would not let them use the ramp for a while. It's something they would find confusing and fall off of at first and then not be able to figure out how to get back on. I think I'd wait at least a week and then supervise. How exciting to have new babies! I did this a year or so ago and I was a basket case until hatch! 😆 Much easier giving birth myself than being the nervous auntie! Enjoy!

I let mine put when they were about 1.5 weeks. They finally all figured out how to get out the last few days, and so now worst case scenario, she stays out with them since they're all outside

No, I mean I would lock the mom and babies in the building and not allow access to the run for a few days until the chicks are able to climb the ramp. If some are outside and some are Inside the coop, the hen is likely to leave the outside chicks and they can freeze in a short while

Thank you! Yes i wasn’t aware that she would go out in the run Right away. (While she has been broody
she has been only once a day of course), so that is good to know what to expect.

I agree, I would not let them use the ramp for a while. It's something they would find confusing and fall off of at first and then not be able to figure out how to get back on. I think I'd wait at least a week and then supervise. How exciting to have new babies! I did this a year or so ago and I was a basket case until hatch! 😆 Much easier giving birth myself than being the nervous auntie! Enjoy!

Yes I am quite excited! She chose this old coop to become broody in. A couple times the floor beneath the roost (not under the nesting boxes!) has fallen down to the run and we have to nail it back up. Probably the hens are walking back-and-forth on it, fighting over the two nesting boxes there (because those are the preferred ones and why we have not gotten rid of this old coop). so now I am worried that she will stomp around on that floor wanting out and I hope it holds I don’t want the chicks to go crashing down to the run! Oh my, so many things to worry about. Wish their coop was better. The pic of the old coop below.

Attachments

• 99F739AB-A219-47E7-865A-9332F5451355.png
    99F739AB-A219-47E7-865A-9332F5451355.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom