broody hen - how can i get eggs for this broody hen?

edong

Hatching
6 Years
May 25, 2013
I am new to back yard chickens but based on the books I have been reading, I believe I have a broody hen. I am thinking that she might be able to hatch some eggs for me. I was wondering where I can get eggs that would hatch.

Look around for a local hatchery or you can order from a larger hatchery. I order my fertile eggs from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio. You can also order from My Pet Chicken but they are just a broker. There are tons of them out there. Depending on where you live, you probably have someone local. Just be sure you have a broody hen before you waste time and money ordering them.

You can order them in our Buy Sell Trade forum, here. You can find a local farrmer who has chickens and roosters, and see if he will sell you a few. Often the eggs at a farmer's market are fertile; the seller may know, if they are not marked. Some natural food stores sell fertile eggs; these are intended for eating and you probably won't get a very good hatch rate because of their age and the refrigeration. There are threads here about hatching Trader Joe's fertile eggs. Realy, the ideal for inexpensive eggs is probably finding another backyard chicken keeper who has a rooster. Your feed store people may know where you could get some locally, too.

Back
Top Bottom