Broody hen...how long?

Bcmacias

Chirping
Jul 24, 2020
We have a black Asian hen, she has been broody for aver a month. We only have hens, so not fertilized. We gather the eggs before she can sit on them too long, we’ve also blocked the egg box with a board, we’ve moved her from the coop to the yard and shut the door to the coop so she can’t return right away...she’s still wanting to hatch an egg. I can get a fertilized egg from a friend, and I’m thinking about getting her one, however now that she’s been broody for so long, and I get an egg now, will she likely snap out of it before the egg hatches? I know I could just have her sit on something but it would be fun to hatch one out if she will last that long.

In my opinion, it has gone on too long and she may not be in the best condition to sit for the next 21 days. Also, never just hatch one egg. Chicks need brothers and sisters to grow up with.

If you want to let her raise chicks, then break her now and give it a few months for her to put on some weight. She will go broody again. You can proof that broodiness for a week (no more) and then put fertile eggs under her. Proofing can be done by letting her sit for a few days as she chooses, and then if she seems keen (I.e. more on the nest than off it), keep her on the nest with fake eggs under her and not let her off more than once a day for a short break. It will help to 'set' the hormones so she will commit to brooding. Then you don't waste good fertile eggs being half-heartedly sat on as they won't make it.

Back
Top Bottom