Broody Hen - I gave her fertilized eggs!

I love this story so much. Love it so much I sat here reading nearly every post out loud to my SO.

Thank you for sharing. I love a community of people--and an OP--who cared about that broody mother enough to not allow her to be disappointed by failure and all her hard work. That is special. That is the world I like to live in. :)

I r8 this 8/8!

She Is so cute in her nest! Daisy was just under a year old too when her adventure began. The funniest thing is that she's our mean girl who chases and pecks the low girls away from food. It's amazing seeing her being such a sweet and attentive Mama hen with the chicks. They peck her eyes and comb and she doesn't mind at all.

She Is so cute in her nest! Daisy was just under a year old too when her adventure began. The funniest thing is that she's our mean girl who chases and pecks the low girls away from food. It's amazing seeing her being such a sweet and attentive Mama hen with the chicks. They peck her eyes and comb and she doesn't mind at all.

14 days straight on that nest. She amazes me. I decided not to candle, so I have no idea what to expect next week. I'm hoping she gets a few babies out of this! She has been so devoted to those eggs
1f49b.png

That's awesome! Hoping they hatch! Our 1st successful broody sat faithfully on 6 eggs. 3 hatched and are now grown and good. It is so enjoyable to watch the mama hen teach the babies how to peck, listen for predators, and then later intermingle with the main flock. Good broodies are invaluable.
love.gif
Here they were as babies:

Here they are as a pullet and cockrell with mama. We ended up giving the RIR chick away because a farmer friend had a single turkey chick and they cannot survive without another chick.

Last edited:

We ended up with three! After #3 hatched, she left the nest. There were two eggs left. One had a little crack in it and looked fully formed, but didn't make it. So sad! This whole process has been amazing. Chick 1 is a cream Legbar/white amerucana cross. Chick 2 is a jubilee orpington/buff orpington cross. Chick 3 is a Swedish Flower Hen. Im so glad I got three different mixes/breeds.

Back
Top Bottom