Broody Hen in Nest box, what do I do when they hatch?

Deryk

Songster
Jun 12, 2017
Middle Tennessee
So I have a broody hen who will hit day 21 in a couple days who is brooding in her nest box about 3 feet off the floor. The question is what to do when/if the chicks hatch? I can't fit food and water in the nest box for the chicks, do I just move them to the floor and let the hen find a nesting spot somewhere down there? Should I build a quick enclosure for them and move them all before they hatch?

I prefer to let them remain with the flock and let nature takes it's course. I am mostly concerned with how they will get food water if I don't assist them out of the nest box. Thanks for any input. First time post.

I am around as they hatch, and I generally move them to the floor by the evening of hatch day, to a wire enclosure in the coop, with food and water within reach. Otherwise you risk a chick hopping out and dying. Most hens won't be moved unless at least half have hatched.

So I have a broody hen who will hit day 21 in a couple days who is brooding in her nest box about 3 feet off the floor. The question is what to do when/if the chicks hatch? I can't fit food and water in the nest box for the chicks, do I just move them to the floor and let the hen find a nesting spot somewhere down there? Should I build a quick enclosure for them and move them all before they hatch?

I prefer to let them remain with the flock and let nature takes it's course. I am mostly concerned with how they will get food water if I don't assist them out of the nest box. Thanks for any input. First time post.

I have a easter eggers that are broodys.I highly recommend separating the chicks from the mom when they hatch and are dry move them to a brooder that has food and water and a heat lamp for warmth.The other chickens will kill the chicks and sometimes even the mom might peck at them.Its just easier to keep track of them this way and you wont loose as many

I actually have a Jersey giant who hatched out 12/16 eggs and she was the most loving mother i've ever seen, i would not separate the mother and her chicks unless you SEE the mother pecking at them consistently. and also if you have a big-ish chicken coop i would seperate half of it with chicken wire so that the rest of the flock can interact with each other without any harm done, after two weeks I took down the wire and let moma introduced her babies to the flock, they are now four weeks old and getting along with everyone else and dont need their mom anymore

I actually have a Jersey giant who hatched out 12/16 eggs and she was the most loving mother i've ever seen, i would not separate the mother and her chicks unless you SEE the mother pecking at them consistently. and also if you have a big-ish chicken coop i would seperate half of it with chicken wire so that the rest of the flock can interact with each other without any harm done, after two weeks I took down the wire and let moma introduced her babies to the flock, they are now four weeks old and getting along with everyone else and dont need their mom anymore
This is also a great idea i just had a broody mom peck at the chicks is why i seperated

One of my broodies nested on the floor, so I didn't have to do anything when 3 hatched. A broody in the nest above her hatched one, so I moved her, the chick and the remaining eggs to some straw on the floor. I placed waterers and feeders by both. Now they are raising all of the chicks together.

Thanks for the input, sounds like no sure fire solution about keeping together or separating. I will keep a close eye and play it by ear. Do I need to worry about roosters in the same coop or do the hens pretty much keep them at bay. First inclination from my hen is she is very protective and strong still.

Thanks for the input, sounds like no sure fire solution about keeping together or separating. I will keep a close eye and play it by ear. Do I need to worry about roosters in the same coop or do the hens pretty much keep them at bay. First inclination from my hen is she is very protective and strong still.
Once again each situation is different, some roosters will attack chicks and others will help with trying to care and find food for them. I like to keep my chicks fenced separately for the first week or two to give them time to grow strong enough to keep up with mom and to get away from other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom