Broody Hen Issues

Jerisflock

Songster
Sep 3, 2021
Cuba, IL
So, I've read quite a bit about broody hens. But really, until you're in the middle of it, it's hard to apply all the advice. I have an Ameraucana who has insisted on bring broody since probably February. She has begun to sit 3 clutches of eggs now, the first two being discarded weeks ago because she sat then left them. I learned at that time she was likely being pushed out by other hens. I will say this has been a big problem for her. She insists on sitting, but does not defend her nest. I did not leave eggs under her for several weeks, yet she still continued to sit in the nest. I thought it was still too cold here in Ilinois for chicks to hatch in February or early March. No worries...she was getting up to eat and drink. A couple weeks ago I decided to let her keep four eggs and I marked them. Every day I removed sometimes as many as 5 unmarked eggs from her nest, but she was always sitting on the same nest so I thought this was an improvement. In an effort to make it easier for her, today I sectioned a very small area of my coop and moved her, nest box and all. This seemed to go well the first couple hours. Next thing I know, I look outside and there she is in the yard with the flock! I hadn't put a top over my enclosure and come to find out one of my other hens found her way over and in, ran mama out, laid an egg and then she left too. Now the eggs are cold. So the million dollar "dumb" question is " once the eggs have chilled, they're toast, right?" And from what I've read just today, I should completely enclose her. It is a see through pen, so she can see everyone come and go, and she has feed and water inside. I foolishly thought that if I just enclosed her 4.5 feet in height, she would stay with her nest. I've clipped most all their wings, so I didn't imagine any hens hopping over. I just started my chicken venture last May, so I'm still going through chicken 101. Thank you for any encouraging advice you might have. 😊

Last edited:
If you don’t want her to sit on real eggs, place some plastic eggs or balls under her and when the fake eggs don’t hatch, she should loose interest and go back to normal. I hope this helps!!!

If you don’t want her to sit on real eggs, place some plastic eggs or balls under her and when the fake eggs don’t hatch, she should loose interest and go back to normal. I hope this helps!!!
Well, I kind of wanted to let her actually hatch a small brood. I'm just making so many mistakes.

In that case, definitely make sure that no other chickens can disturb her and discourage her from sitting on her eggs. That would be the first thing I would do and then see how things are going. I wish you luck!!

In that case, definitely make sure that no other chickens can disturb her and discourage her from sitting on her eggs. That would be the first thing I would do and then see how things are going. I wish you luck!!
Thank you so much for encouragement! I really feel very dumb! 🤔😏

Every chick keeper runs into problems that they just need help figuring out, so don’t worry about it!!! Just learn from the experience!!! I hope she will hatch some chicks for you!!!

It is fun, but it can be stressful, BUT DONT THROW THE EGGS. I hope you have not yet.

If she has been setting for 7-8 days, the chicks are already producing heat. So even if the eggs feel cold, they will warm right back up and be fine. I came home in cold fall weather, I think near 30 degrees, and she was on the wrong nest! Eggs were cold, but people said, just put her back in place and they will be fine and they were! Hatch right on time.

Mrs K

It is fun, but it can be stressful, BUT DONT THROW THE EGGS. I hope you have not yet.

If she has been setting for 7-8 days, the chicks are already producing heat. So even if the eggs feel cold, they will warm right back up and be fine. I came home in cold fall weather, I think near 30 degrees, and she was on the wrong nest! Eggs were cold, but people said, just put her back in place and they will be fine and they were! Hatch right on time.

Mrs K
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom