Hen and Roo fighting

Vixen212

Chirping
Mar 25, 2022
Hey y'all so I need a bit of advice as I've not encountered this particular situation before. We have one rooster (Hank) and our head hen Blueberry are fighting. Blueberry has made a nest with 16 eggs, she not sitting yet though but does turn and rearrange her eggs regularly. The past few days Hank is still trying to top her and she's apparently had enough. This leads into a knock down bloody fight where I snatch Hank up while Blueberry runs straight to her nest. If I don't keep them separated for hours they will immediately start fighting again. Also, if Hank gets too close to her nest she will initiate another full blown fight. Moving her nest isn't an option. Should I move our rooster with a couple other hens to another coop for a while? Will this continue? Is she about to go broody? In the past, unless it was two roosters, fighting one of them would always eventually back down but this isn't happening. Any advice is appreciated!

How old is your 'rooster'. His behavior sounds more like that of a cockerel. If you want her to successfully hatch those eggs it will be necessary to separate them. Reintroduction will likely be difficult. When head hens and roosters/cockerels fight it generally results in the eventual death of the hen.

How old is your 'rooster'. His behavior sounds more like that of a cockerel. If you want her to successfully hatch those eggs it will be necessary to separate them. Reintroduction will likely be difficult. When head hens and roosters/cockerels fight it generally results in the eventual death of the hen.

If she's not sitting on those eggs all night long and most of the day she's not broody.
Best to collect the eggs daily until she does go broody.

Back
Top Bottom