Chicken wandering around aimlessly and pecking wall inside coop?

JulietsMomma

Chirping
Mar 24, 2023
I have a polish hen who had been the “favorite” for a while so I separated her and the rooster. She’s not injured, just missing feathers. The past few days, she has been wandering around one corner of the run like she’s lost. Tonight when I went out to lock my chickens up, she was still outside the coop (it wasn’t completely dark yet but all others had went up). She found her way inside the coop and went straight to the back and just started pecking the wall. I moved her and she went to both nesting boxes, kicked our shavings, and started making a noise kinda like purring?

She’s eating, drinking, and pooping fine. No symptoms of illness. Am I overthinking this? Is she going broody? She’s not quite a year old. The rooster she was separated from is still in sight since he’s in a run beside of hers and she still has all the other hens.

I have a polish hen who had been the “favorite” for a while so I separated her and the rooster. She’s not injured, just missing feathers. The past few days, she has been wandering around one corner of the run like she’s lost. Tonight when I went out to lock my chickens up, she was still outside the coop (it wasn’t completely dark yet but all others had went up). She found her way inside the coop and went straight to the back and just started pecking the wall. I moved her and she went to both nesting boxes, kicked our shavings, and started making a noise kinda like purring?

She’s eating, drinking, and pooping fine. No symptoms of illness. Am I overthinking this? Is she going broody? She’s not quite a year old. The rooster she was separated from is still in sight since he’s in a run beside of hers and she still has all the other hens.
awww i think she feels lost without him

That's what it sounds like to me. When I had to cull my rooster, his favorite hen, Kate, was devastated. She recovered after about a week with lots of treats and attention!

Back
Top Bottom