Chicken Eating Eggs

That's basically junk food, I'd pass on that.
I disagree. If you just put it up in their run or coop, it relieves boredom which could be the cause of egg pecking. If you only feed them that then it is bad. But otherwise it is just a treat. You can make homade ones by hanging leaves like cabbage or lettuce up.

Have you found any shells left behind?
Are they good and hard or thin/soft?
Is she only eating her own eggs?

That's basically junk food, I'd pass on that.
Yes, I have. They are hard. I think she’s only eating her own, but I don’t know 100%.

I disagree. If you just put it up in their run or coop, it relieves boredom which could be the cause of egg pecking. If you only feed them that then it is bad. But otherwise it is just a treat. You can make homade ones by hanging leaves like cabbage or lettuce up.
Okay, thanks! They get a plate of diced tomatoes almost everyday. In the winter they got chicken scratch, and they loved that. I thought about buying some cabbage for them to peck, but the seed block would probably last longer.

Have you actually seen her eating her own egg?
No other eggs have been eaten?
There have been three eggs that have been eaten. Once the entire egg shell was eaten. Two times only partially eaten. The first two times I only found remnants of the egg, but today I went out and saw Rosie was laying so I went out 30 minutes to an hour later, seeing she was done laying. That’s when I found the other half-eaten egg. I’ve seen my other hens sitting on their eggs or have watched them leave the coop after laying.

There have been three eggs that have been eaten. Once the entire egg shell was eaten. Two times only partially eaten. The first two times I only found remnants of the egg, but today I went out and saw Rosie was laying so I went out 30 minutes to an hour later, seeing she was done laying. That’s when I found the other half-eaten egg. I’ve seen my other hens sitting on their eggs or have watched them leave the coop after laying.
It's hard thing to deal with...the only thing I can suggest is to put several fake eggs in each nest, make sure there's plenty of bedding to avid breaks, and gather eggs frequently.

It might be a nutritional thing. Layer feed is minimal nutrition and no other foods should be given because it dilutes their overall nutrition. Might try a higher protein(18-20%) feed and no other 'treats'.
Even if egg eating starts as a nutritional thing, it can quickly become a habit.

It's hard thing to deal with...the only thing I can suggest is to put several fake eggs in each nest, make sure there's plenty of bedding to avid breaks, and gather eggs frequently.

It might be a nutritional thing. Layer feed is minimal nutrition and no other foods should be given because it dilutes their overall nutrition. Might try a higher protein(18-20%) feed and no other 'treats'.
Even if egg eating starts as a nutritional thing, it can quickly become a habit.
Okay, thank you 🙂
I’ll try to find them some higher protein feed. Is it possible the others could pick up the habit aswell?

Might also put out some oyster shell.
I use a 20% feed and have a small feeder with oyster shell for the active layers.

Absolutely.
Okay, thank you! Yesterday, I crushed up some eggshells and mixed it in a little bit of yogurt ( the yogurt was plain, Greek yogurt ) before feeding it to her. I usually mix the oyster shells in with their feed, but I never thought of putting it in its own dish. Thank you!
I hope the others don’t pick up the habit. Don’t get me wrong, we like Rosie, but if we had to part with her, we would not be heart broken 😂 She’s always causing some sort of trouble.

Back
Top Bottom