Chicken Eating Eggs

TheyBeChillin

Chirping
Jun 5, 2022
Hello!! I need help! One of my hens is eating her eggs, and I have no idea why. They have access to food and water anytime throughout the day with oyster shells in their feed for calcium and grit. I only have four hens- our run is large enough to fit eight while our coop is large enough to fit twelve chickens. I clean the coop regularly, and the girls spend most of their time outside the run anyways. Stress nor malnutrition shouldn’t be the issue. None of my other hens are pecking her- in fact, in the past she’s been the one pecking on them. We have hawks but otherwise, we live in a suburban neighborhood so other predators aren’t stressing my chickens out. She’s always been my broodiest hen and faithfully cared for her eggs. I don’t know what’s causing this or how to fix it! What do y’all suggest?

I suggest using pecking blocks. These are good:

Attachments

• natures-grub-280g-block-fruit-berry-pecking-block-15850641031215_800x800_crop_center.jpg
    natures-grub-280g-block-fruit-berry-pecking-block-15850641031215_800x800_crop_center.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 5
Hello!! I need help! One of my hens is eating her eggs, and I have no idea why. They have access to food and water anytime throughout the day with oyster shells in their feed for calcium and grit. I only have four hens- our run is large enough to fit eight while our coop is large enough to fit twelve chickens. I clean the coop regularly, and the girls spend most of their time outside the run anyways. Stress nor malnutrition shouldn’t be the issue. None of my other hens are pecking her- in fact, in the past she’s been the one pecking on them. We have hawks but otherwise, we live in a suburban neighborhood so other predators aren’t stressing my chickens out. She’s always been my broodiest hen and faithfully cared for her eggs. I don’t know what’s causing this or how to fix it! What do y’all suggest?
Have you found any shells left behind?
Are they good and hard or thin/soft?
Is she only eating her own eggs?

I suggest using pecking blocks. These are good:
That's basically junk food, I'd pass on that.

Back
Top Bottom