Neurotic hen— like we need advise lol

Marleeschicks

Chirping
May 28, 2023
So I have a flock and we have been going through way too much drama lately. Not only do I have a young hen with cancer (thus tending to her and trying to keep the stress down) I have another hen that is being like over the top neurotic about digging.
Sure all hens dig. Some dig more than others. But the last month in particular she has been basically pacing, squawking to get out of the run (they get 2ish hours of free range time). Then she is straight to digging. Digging to china. Like so fixated on digging that she won’t respond to the roosters call half the time and won’t notice when the others have left. She Doesn’t seem to care either lol
We have a small backyard and she’s being incredibly destructive. That’s fixable but I’m just like concerned that she’s being like this? Like she barely lifts her head she’s so intent on digging.

Now that said she will be normal when in the run and she will take treats and blah blah. But evenings have been incredibly stressful.
Is this normal lol? Any advise?
She is an ameraucana mix. 9 months old. So first spring… not sure if that’s what’s up. She’s also not laying as regularly
I’m perplexed

Attachments

• IMG_0973.jpeg
    IMG_0973.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0974.jpeg
    IMG_0974.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0975.jpeg
    IMG_0975.jpeg
    940.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0976.jpeg
    IMG_0976.jpeg
    743.4 KB · Views: 8
One of my Ameraucana hens, Dovey, is acting super grumpy right now. Pacing, digging, flapping her wings. She's one of my two friendly, self-appointed pets.
The other is also an Ameraucana, Susie, she was having her grumpy times last month.
What do they both want?
To get out. They want to roam and find their own goodies.

All the other hens may want the same thing, but they forget about it easier. Because some of the Ameraucana are SO smart, so aware, they spoil easily and get stubborn.
They were also the problem girls when weaning them all off scratch.
One day, Susie decided she didn't want to roost with the other chickens (despite being the boss hen), and plonked herself on our outdoor table right outside the window, and would stare in at us every evening before nodding off.
I carried her to the coop and placed her on the roost each night for two solid months before she finally relented and slept in the coop.

I bet your hen is just the same, she wants to find her own goodies (bugs, seeds) and in frustration about not getting them, she's "digging in" (ooh, punny!) and trying to find a way to get what she wants.

Spring does bring a surge of hormones, both before and after laying picks up. It can exacerbate personality quirks.

Back
Top Bottom