Disinterested and sluggish hen

Chikenshiken

Songster
Feb 1, 2023
My 3 year old golden comet chicken has been kind of sluggish for the past 2 days and I’m not sure if I’m being paranoid. She’s been walking a bit slower and had poopy butt that I cleared up and trimmed but I did notice her stool seems to be runny and way smaller than usual…. She’s been drinking a lot of water more than eating. She’s also been eating less and seems very uninterested in her own feed however if I give her treats she’ll eat them just fine. She also hasn’t been doing her usual excitable things like running into the feed shed with her sister and looking at me for food. I don’t know, I can’t tell if there’s actually something wrong or I should trust my gut that she’s acting weird.

I took a look at her eggs and they seem a bit thinner and lighter than usual. There’s also a smaller bantam sized BROWN egg and she’s my only current layer who lays brown eggs. But I do have a bantam who lays white eggs and now I can’t tell if she had a very small brown egg just randomly or it really is my hen who I think is acting weird.

It has been getting quite cold here and she is at an older age so I don’t know if that’s the factor or maybe something else! Other then that she’s been doing her usual hen things like scratching in the dirt and eating whatever’s there but that’s about all she does all day now… not much eating and a lot of drinking. Am I being worried for no reason? Will she get over it? Yesterday her crop seemed to be just filled with water

Back
Top Bottom