Chicken autism?

I feed Purina Starter/Grower crumbles with oyster shell on the side, as well as grit on the side.

I also make a mash of it for their breakfast; I add a pinch of herbs mix for chickens and a few shelled sunflower seeds.

Other than that, the general guideline is 1 tablespoon or less of treat (non-feed) per bird per day. When I treat, I try to give fruits and vegetables rather than grains or mealworms. My girls love greens!

But everyday? Not so much.
Like the post said, once in while. Not sure where you got everyday from. I have tossed my flock a handful of scratch everyday for 30 years and believe it or not none of them drop dead! My latest flock fills the fridge with eggs, the freezer with meat and hatches plenty of chicks in the spring. Someone forgot to tell them they should be dying from eating corn. Corn, still the number one ingredient in every bag of chicken feed.

Like the post said, once in while. Not sure where you got everyday from. I have tossed my flock a handful of scratch everyday for 30 years and believe it or not none of them drop dead! My latest flock fills the fridge with eggs, the freezer with meat and hatches plenty of chicks in the spring. Someone forgot to tell them they should be dying from eating corn. Corn, still the number one ingredient in every bag of chicken feed.
The OP is feeding almost exclusively corn. That’s where they’re getting that from. Your story of only feeding it every so often isn’t really relevant because that’s not what OP is doing. That’s all they were trying to say. Also commercial feed may contain a lot of corn but it’s also balanced properly with other ingredients and vitamins and minerals, etc. rather than JUST corn.

The OP is feeding almost exclusively corn. That’s where they’re getting that from. Your story of only feeding it every so often isn’t really relevant because that’s not what OP is doing. That’s all they were trying to say. Also commercial feed may contain a lot of corn but it’s also balanced properly with other ingredients and vitamins and minerals, etc. rather than JUST corn.
Right. And since it's the number 1 ingredient in their feed, why on earth feed them more of it?

I understand those who feed cracked corn on cold nights though.

Oh okay, I just didnt see anything wrong with the feed the OP listed. I guess its all bad.

of whatever we have on hand like lettuce, apples, strawberries, pumpkin, rice, etc. it changes from day to day but they always have vegetables, fruits and some dried worms from the store on occasion

Oh okay, I just didnt see anything wrong with the feed the OP listed. I guess its all bad.

of whatever we have on hand like lettuce, apples, strawberries, pumpkin, rice, etc. it changes from day to day but they always have vegetables, fruits and some dried worms from the store on occasion.
Those things are all great for treats but don’t make a balanced diet. Balancing a diet is HARD work and even with research and/or years experience is still hard to get correct.

Back
Top Bottom