BROODY HEN just hatched eggs

Congratulations on your new chicks!
For future reference: don't move a hen during or 3 days prior to hatch. This can jostle the chicks who are positioning to hatch, as well as drying out the membranes.
It is best to section off a place for the hen about a week after she goes broody. A place where the flock can see her, but not disturb her or the eggs.
Once she has calmed down, give her eggs.
It will help her keep her status in the flock and make it easier to introduce chicks.
Good luck with your new chicks!

Congrats on the new babies! Sounds like a lot of fun, glad to hear you were able to get them back in with the flock, hopefully that makes the transition into the regular coop go smooth!
Glad I built a separate pen too because the other ones in the flock are very interested in the chicks. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing😅

Congratulations on your new chicks!
For future reference: don't move a hen during or 3 days prior to hatch. This can jostle the chicks who are positioning to hatch, as well as drying out the membranes.
It is best to section off a place for the hen about a week after she goes broody. A place where the flock can see her, but not disturb her or the eggs.
Once she has calmed down, give her eggs.
It will help her keep her status in the flock and make it easier to introduce chicks.
Good luck with your new chicks!
Yes if I ever did this again I would be much better set up. Probably should’ve thought it out a little bit more but hopefully it all works out. I would’ve left her in the nest box of the coop with all the other flaI would’ve left her in the nest box of the coop with all the other flock but she kept moving from nest box to nest box and would never sit still on eggs so I thought the only solution would be to move her to a box for the three weeks. But thank you for the advice

Yes if I ever did this again I would be much better set up. Probably should’ve thought it out a little bit more but hopefully it all works out. I would’ve left her in the nest box of the coop with all the other flaI would’ve left her in the nest box of the coop with all the other flock but she kept moving from nest box to nest box and would never sit still on eggs so I thought the only solution would be to move her to a box for the three weeks. But thank you for the advice
I did the same the first time mine hatched. The second time I had 5 broodies and I thought I was prepared. 🤣 I ended up having to move one because she was hatching later and the other mamas wouldn't leave her eggs alone. She still hatched 8 of 12. But I felt bad about the ones that didn't hatch.
I've had several hatches every year since, and I'm still learning. 😊

I did the same the first time mine hatched. The second time I had 5 broodies and I thought I was prepared. 🤣 I ended up having to move one because she was hatching later and the other mamas wouldn't leave her eggs alone. She still hatched 8 of 12. But I felt bad about the ones that didn't hatch.
I've had several hatches every year since, and I'm still learning. 😊
Well thanks for your help. Best of luck to you also

Back
Top Bottom