Broody hen killing baby chicks

In my opinion that’s extremely wrong. If you can do something to help them why not do it?

And referencing the egg and meat industry, we’re backyard chicken keepers we’re not apart if the industry. In fact I’m actually vegan, besides eating the eggs that come from MY birds, specifically because of how horrible the industry is. As well as the fact that meat is not a necessity and there’s no way to humanely kill something that doesn’t want to die.
Being blunt, but not at all rude;) you thinking how I manage the chickens here is extremely wrong doesn't really concern me.
I'm going to remind you that you hunt, trap, and as I understand it breed chickens. I don't think any of those creatures that you kill wanted to die either and I think the chickens would rather breed without any interference. Lets try and keep things a bit objective.:lol:
I really don't get this we are back yard chicken keepers business. A lot of people on this site are essentially free ranging their chickens on large acreages.

Being blunt, but not at all rude;) you thinking how I manage the chickens here is extremely wrong doesn't really concern me.
I'm going to remind you that you hunt, trap, and as I understand it breed chickens. I don't think any of those creatures that you kill wanted to die either and I think the chickens would rather breed without any interference. Lets try and keep things a bit objective.:lol:
I really don't get this we are back yard chicken keepers business. A lot of people on this site are essentially free ranging their chickens on large acreages.

Actually I’m against hunting, I do occasionally trap but I relocate. And it’s not like I force my chickens to breed, they do it all in their own.

I'm so glad you were able to save some! It's a shame the won't be able to stay with their mother but they will likely do just fine without her.

When hens sit on eggs they follow instinctive behaviour impulses to hatch the eggs and will readily attack any animal that comes toward their nest - including another hen's chicks. Then during the hatching process their minds gradually switch over from incubating mode to mothering mode and they start following different instincts. They will recognise their chicks as something to protect whilst still defending the nest against outsiders. The end of the change of 'mode' is when they leave the nest, even if it means abandoning unhatched eggs.
I believe that hens who kill their chicks fail to begin or complete the transition into the second 'mode' and therefore still see the chicks as intruders while, in their mind, they are still defending their eggs. I suspect it could be hormone related.
Now this is an interesting observation. I read a lot of worried posts about broody hens abandoning what people view as viable eggs but this seems to be part of their natural instinct to get what has hatched away from the nest as soon as possible. It also has to do with trying to avoid what gets called a staggered hatch which may mean the first hatched have a distinct advantage to say a chick hatched 3 days later.

The only way I see for a group of chickens to become a feral colony would be to release a whole bunch and remove as many predators as possible before during and for a long time afterwards to allow them to get a foot hold. I don’t see you doing that so I’m kinda confused about your goals.
A lion at the zoo that was raised in captivity can only be handled by a select few. That doesn’t mean they’re wild enough to release back into the wild and will survive.
Hmmm, then the semi feral flocks in the various places in the world shouldn't exist.

No worries. We’re not gonna agree on everything. I don’t think how you raise birds is extremely wrong at all. I’m after different goals than you. I only have 2.5 acres but I’m surrounded by 300 acres of woods and farmland. Most birds are loose.
I’m not sure what you mean about “backyard chicken keepers business”? Sometimes they wander around to my front yard too.
I prefer to free range every chicken I can. I believe they grow up smarter and healthier but thats just my opinion. I do my best to keep every one of them alive. I’m pretty good at it too. ;) I’m willing to share some tips if you need them.

Hmmm, then the semi feral flocks in the various places in the world shouldn't exist.
Nope I don’t care one way or the other. I’m saying I know what I’m trying to do isn’t totally natural. Without trapping the predators around my property I would lose every single bird eventually. They kill for a living, I put the chickens there so I do my best to keep them safe.

No worries. We’re not gonna agree on everything. I don’t think how you raise birds is extremely wrong at all. I’m after different goals than you. I only have 2.5 acres but I’m surrounded by 300 acres of woods and farmland. Most birds are loose.
I’m not sure what you mean about “backyard chicken keepers business”? Sometimes they wander around to my front yard too.
I prefer to free range every chicken I can. I believe they grow up smarter and healthier but thats just my opinion. I do my best to keep every one of them alive. I’m pretty good at it too. ;) I’m willing to share some tips if you need them.
It's got a lot better here over the years. I lose one or two a year now. Looking at some of the devastation on the ER and general boards those numbers don't look too bad.
The problem here is the European Goshawk. It's a fact of free ranging. You're going to lose some.

Back
Top Bottom