Broody hen laid an egg in chicken jail

Hope you have a way of keeping them all separate (if the need arises) until you can rehome them, in case the mamas all decide to have a fight club with the kids in the middle of it.
Each momma with egg is in their own individual crate. Once hatch happens, i’ll let them out to range one pair at a time until i can slowly let them all out together. Im so nervous tho!!!

How long did you keep them in jail for? I'm on day 5 with mine. She seems fine during the day but then right back to the nesting box she goes at night. Right now shes confined for 72 hours in the crate, no matter if I think she broke or not because she knows how to act apparently
I kept them in jail for 72 hours. How did yours turn out?

Sooo cute! And thank you for that! What do you do if you dont have the room for anymore chickens? Thats kind of what im facing right now. I have FOUR broody hens, all of which were impossible to break, so I gave them each one fertile egg. However... I just dont have the space! Also, once those eggs hatch, Im afraid it will be a war zone with all the momma’s getting territorial over the babies!
I have built predator proof broody pens. Sometimes they share duties though. You never know what will happen til it does, but for me that’s a huge part of the fun of keeping chickens. Just a chance to give up expectations and go with the flow. Also, there’s local keepers, an auction house and various internet based chicken groups who are always looking to buy something clucky 😄

Back
Top Bottom