Broody hen left her eggs(UPDATE)

There is a very high chance that they quit and are no longer alive, but its not impossible that they are late. WE cannot tell you if they are alive. You have to check for yourself. Have you candled or float tested them? If there any movement or cheeping?

Hey!! I just did a float test and all but 2 were wobbling!!! I'm so happy!! Thank you a much for your help!!!
1f604.png
1f604.png

Is it possible that some of the eggs were laid later in the nest then the ones that hatched? If these are a few days younger then that may explain why the aren't hatching and why the hen left them. Hens will give up after a few days and assume the rest won't hatch to concentrate on the ones that did. Eggs that get added later are in trouble of being abandoned, which is why most people mark the original eggs and remove any later added extras.

im thinking she left them for a reason....something might be wrong with the rest and that's why she left !! better have another close look ??

Hey!! Last night at 7:50 pm one finally pipped!!!

Then rested ALL night! At 8:00 am she started zipping!!!

And here's what it looks like now

Im so excited!!!

I am expecting my hen to hatch her chicks tomorrow. I wanted to try incubating (heating pad, light bulb) the other eggs that I am anticipating her to leave once some hatch and wanted to hear the rest of your story. Did the hen accept them and care for the ones you incubated? Last year when 3 eggs hatched she left the others and that was bothersome to me, to put it lightly. I wanted to try something different assuming it will happen again. Any information helpful. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom